Friday, January 23, 2009

1/23/09 - Worlds End in the Snow

During the eve of Martin Luther King Day, the South Shore received yet another dumping of snow. By the time I finished cleaning the driveway it was afternoon. I was anxious to get out and capture the snow-covered scenes, so loaded my gear in the truck and headed out with no particular destination in mind. I ended up at Worlds End in Hingham.

Even as I pulled into the parking lot I noticed the incredible late afternoon light that was being filtered through the clouds. It was constantly changing with the movement of the clouds… sometimes a golden hue, other times blue’ish. I knew it would be a challenge capturing the shifting light and high-contrast of snow, but also recognized an opportunity to possibly get some striking images. I trudged through the ankle-deep snow, under-dressed and wet by the end. But, came away feeling that it was a worth-while effort and happy for some outdoors time.