Tuesday, April 1, 2008

4/1/2008 - Powder Point on Ice


POWDER POINT ON ICE


Yet another image captured with my trusty 3MP point-and-shoot a few years ago. I distinctly remember this day as being probably the coldest of the year. A group of us were supposed to be climbing up in New Hampshire, but the trip was canceled due to the dangerous temperature. Feeling a bit slighted, I decided to make the best of the day and drove around with my camera looking for photo opportunities. When I got to Powder Point Bridge (crosses Duxbury Bay an is the longest wooden bridge in the US) the first thing I noticed was that the bay was nearly frozen. Where it wasn't, the water was reflecting the deep blue of the sky.

Even though I broke a major rule of the Rule of Thirds (i.e. horizon half-way up), I still like the composition of this image. I orginally thought about cropping it to conform... but, decided that it worked the way it was taken. This has been a popular image and has even sold a few times.